Monday, September 21, 2009

A better week

Actually better then just a better week- a GREAT week!
With the new arrival to the Beams house and David getting the Job I think our family has had a great week!

Thank you so to Katie for sending me ideas! I have done a bunch of them ex- writing down the hopes and dreams, and making elaborate dishes (ben really likes that one too, homemade rolls and chicken tetrazini) I boiled a chicken for the first time in my life. Gross smell, but tasty!


Another BIG thank you goes to my mom (wait, am i at the Emmys or something) for sending me LOADS of swedish weaving supplies. For those who don't know what swedish weaving is its like crossstich on a LARGE scale. You take one long piece of yarn and string it through the holes of fabric while turing the needle in a backwards direction. Its actually really easy and turns out beautiful. I'm working one a girl baby blanket and a soon after a boy baby blanket. Not too shabby huh? No, this isn't how i'm announcing a new "little darling" just preparing for the future when we do! Another idea from katie.

A rough beginning. A lot more rows to go!

In all its been a about a 3 hour process so far. This is a patient project.



Ben, with his new work schedule, gets weekends free. A whole Saturday to ourselves and what two things does my husband suggest?!?! Shopping and Crafts. Did I marry the perfect man or what?!!?
So I.F. we went to get a couple more things for our apt thanks to the random wedding gift cards that keep coming in. What a great time in our lives where going out to the mail box means making another 20 bucks! The extra money we had left over went into this weeks Halloween craft project:



Its 10 times cooler then the tree because Ben was there to help. We spent about 45 mins in the Rexburg's mini version of Hobby Lobby called 'Porters'. We took a big black square of poster board, bent it in half in an 'L' shape, cut out the mansion for the bask piece, cut holes in the bottom to add lights, super-glued the tombstones in, cut up pieces of bone hands to make bones, tore apart spiderwebs to make the fog, and cut grey card stock for the fence. Needless to say it took all afternoon. And for those wondering, Ben painted the blood on it - not me!


Yeah, we're pretty proud of it. We joked while making the haunted grave yard that our kids are going to have AWESOME science projects. And possibly they'll have nightmares from all the halloween stuff in our house! Looks like we won't get any more stuff till the AMAZING day after halloween sales. I love that day.

Part of our shopping extravaganza took us to target where I got a halloween bowl for the youngsters. Sure it was only a dollar and i'm pretty sure its too flimsy to stick in the dishwasher, but this bowl means so much more to me. Its my halloween bowl, for my house, where my husband and i will hand out candy, on my favorite holiday. It took me about 8 mins just to pick the exact right one and i held it close to me the rest of the shopping time and refused to part with it to put it in the cart.


Oddly enough though, we've had our first trick-or-treat-ers. Well, sort of. This prized piece immediately took a place of honor on our coffee table and already got filled with left over movie theater contraband that we snuck in. So here i am sitting in the afternoon with our front door open waiting for some friends of ours to come over when I leisurely pick up a snicker from the bowl and sink into a fit of caramel delight. In mid decent and wrapper still in hand I get that 'some one is watching me' feeling. There were 2 soon to be 3 then 4 sets of little eyes spying on me and the large candy feast. I happily let them have some and even take some pieces for later. I love kids and there innocence. I wish that i could go sniffing about the neighborhood for whoever is cooking the best dinner that day and expect to get fed!

This wonderful week ended with more sugary niblets, at least these were mostly given away to an old mission buddy of Ben's and our new dinner friends the Coons. They were surprised at the decorations, considering its still September, but loved the fact that they were all homemade right down to the butter cream frosting. Oh yeah, I'm officially enjoying my time away from time.




Next weeks blog: How I spend all my time at the Gym.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you're so crafty!!! I've been doing some craft but we'll see how it turns out... hehe Love your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MADE that black haunted house???????????????????????? That is awesome. I totally thought you bought it until I kept reading. You guys are cool.
    FYI, we've had our Halloween decorations up for two weeks now.

    Oh, and I love that swedish weaving. I'm gonna look into that.

    ReplyDelete