Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'm a Published Writer!!
Through a run-around twist of fate I received the opportunity to write for a wedding magazine. I couldn't believe the work that it took! I worried sick all January long. Writing, rewriting, editing, having other people edit it, choosing the write pictures (I gave them 5, one of me and 4 of the designer I write about and they used only the one of me) sending them copy after re-did copy. And then like the hushed calm after a thunderstorm I waited.

Weeks went by and I couldn't get the article off my mind. I kept imaging magazine being published only to find out they left me out. Finally while I was on my way to one of my Journalism classes I passed by the news stand. It was one of those moments where you do a double take that takes too long so you have to walk backwards a bit. I grabbed the first magazine off the stand and flipped pages too eagerly to read through the topical guide. And there it was. Page 32:


I couldn't believe the surge of pride I had for myself! I wanted to dance a jig and re-write the song "I've got a golden ticket!" My article, my words, my opinions. It was all there. The best part of all was skimming the page to see - Rachel Darling - in print.


I showed my journalism teacher right away who replied, "That's a nice picture of you." "Yeah Brother Hicks - but I wrote the article," I clarified. "OH, Wow!" he was actually excited when you understood what was going on! I now feel like I should get an automatic 'A' in that class.

As I waited in line at the Post office the strangest feeling came over me. It was a feeling I'd felt before. When I was in high school I quickly became OBSESSED with winning a medal. I didn't care what the medal was for or what place I got - I just wanted a medal that I had won. I then medaled in a regional speech competition (second place in my division and second place for the whole competition). As I hung the medal on the wall I took out my mental "Life's to do list" and checked off "win a medal". Feeling satisfied I no longer had an ounce of care to win any more medals or do anything else with speech competitions.

The night after I was realised from my mission I felt the same way. Standing there in the kitchen with my family and in my favorite pair of jeans I took out my mental to do list and checked off "serve an honorable mission"

The Post office line went quick and a copy of said magazine was on its way to Mom and Dad in Nebraska. I took out my familiar list and checked off, "get article published." The hyped up feelings about getting published found their exits in my heart just as quickly as all my other goals had. I did. And now its done. Did you know that I have accomplished everything I had ever said I wanted out of life? That's a pretty good rap-sheet for a 23 yr old.

I drove home asking myself what I really wanted next. And came up with this: I want to be able to go to walmart and pick up an action figure of myself or the action figure of someone I played in a movie.

I guess its time to dust off my acting resume...

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed even though I am not planning a wedding any time soon. When did you put away your acting resume . . . " Huh? Love Gram

    ReplyDelete